Feedback Request: Proposed Image Export Features

Hi All -

I’ve been thinking about a new feature that will allow you to export maps as printable PNG or PDF images. This feature is still the development phase. The goal will be to add this feature to all maps throughout the application. Adding the Measurement-Lab charts is also possible, but only after the maps are settled :grinning:.

In this post, I want to walk you through a proof-of-concept and ask a few questions about how you would want to use this feature. Your answers will help to prioritize the development plan.

1. Beginnings

Here is a screen shot of the “Families in Poverty page”, with the Create Image button added. Note that the interactive map displays both poverty levels and the public schools. On the interactive map, you can hover over a pin to find out more about the school.

2. Set Preferences

Clicking the “Create Image” takes you to a pre-populated preferences page where you can choose the export format (PNG or PDF), and modify various options.

The image format and the size options will be retained from export to export, so that you can create a consistent set of images. Changes to the Title, Subtitle, or Legend Title affect only this particular image.

Click Export to get the process started.

3. Generate the Image

After clicking Export, you’ll be sent to a waiting page. Image generation can take some time: enough time to stretch but hopefully not long enough to properly brew a cup of tea.

During image generation, The Connectivity Explorer downloads the underlying base map, and creates the proper image. As with many long-running operations, the subsequent maps may be generated more quickly.

4. Preview the Image (PNG only)

If you are exporting to PNG, the system will display the image on the screen, and will allow you to download it to your compute. However, PDF images can only be downloaded like any other PDF.

Note that the big pins on the interactive map are rendered more subtle dots in the PNG. For PDF files, no preview is provided. This is because most browsers will display an image in-line, but not a PDF file.

5. Download the Result

You can now download the image and use it in a document or presentation. The map and data attributions are added as a caption.

Open Questions

I’d like you to help prioritize some of the design decisions, either by voting or by replying to this topic, or both!

Which Image Formats need to be Provided?

Are PNG and PDF sufficient? What other image types do you need for your work?

• PNG and PDF are perfect! No other formats are needed
  • I need SVG.
  • I need JPG.
  • I need another format. (please reply to this topic with the format)

0 voters

Opportunity Zones and CRA-Eligible tracts.

The interactive map can display Opportunity Zones or CRA-Eligible tracts.

On a scale of 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest), how important is it to you to export maps that highlight Opportunity Zones or CRA-Eligible Tracts?

0 voters

Highlighting Specific Areas (e.g. tracts or block groups)

Many of the interactive map views allow you to click on data elements in the bar-chart view in order to highlight the corresponding areas on the map.

On a scale of 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest), how important is it to you to export maps show the highlighted areas that appear when you click on a bar in the barchart view?

0 voters

Highlighting Secondary Data

Many of the interactive map views allow you to display a secondary set of data, and then to highlight areas that are common to both a data category in the primary bar chart and the data category selected in the secondary bar chart.

On a scale of 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest), how important is it to you to export maps show the highlighted areas that appear when you click on bars in both the primary and secondary data charts?

0 voters

All of the export features shown will be very helpful. I was doing screen captures and adding different scenarios by hand. This will be a very useful set of features., Many thanks, Bob.

M. Kim Johnson

Thanks for joining the forum and the discussion, and for your feedback on the feature design. I’ll keep you posted here on the forum as plans shape up.