US Census Data Update

The U.S. Census American Community Survey (ACS) 5-year data for 2016-2020 is scheduled to be released on March 17, 2022 :+1:. Once the data is available, I’ll need to ensure that the Connectivity Explorer works correctly with the new data. The Digital Distress Index for counties and school districts will also be recomputed.

Because the Census data is strongly tied to its underlying geographic units, this will be a significant system update. For example, the Census designated a number of new Census-Defined Places in 2020; those places will be visible using I3 after the update.

Only the Census ACS data (demographics; Internet subscriptions; device and subscriber characteristics), digital distress indicators, and the underlying geographies will change. The FCC, NCES, IMLS, and other data sets will not be affected.

If all goes to plan, the system will be offline beginning at noon Eastern on Saturday, March 26 in order to complete the update. Following that scheduled maintenance, the 2016-2020 data will be displayed.

I’d like to say that I timed this outage to coincide with peak NCAA March-Madness viewing times :wink:, but the Census set the schedule!

Best regards,

… Bob